• Home
  • News
  • FIRE RESTRICTIONS LIFTED & OPEN PUBLIC BURNING STARTS OCTOBER 27TH IN INCLINE VILLAGE & CRYSTAL BAY
Featured 

FIRE RESTRICTIONS LIFTED & OPEN PUBLIC BURNING STARTS OCTOBER 27TH IN INCLINE VILLAGE & CRYSTAL BAY

 

 

Winter FR Infographic

 

With the arrival of moisture, higher humidity, and winter weather conditions; effective Wednesday, October 27, 2021, North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District has lifted the suspension of the use of solid-fuel and charcoal barbeques that has been in place in Incline Village and Crystal Bay, Nevada.

In addition, effective October 27th, outdoor burning is permissible. Permits for open burning of pine needles, slash pile, construction warming fires, and recreational fire pits are available Monday through Friday, free of charge. Please call 775-831-0351, ext. 1162 to schedule an inspection and obtain a permit. Visit our website for more information.

Guidelines for open burning are:

  • Permit is valid for open burning only at the address listed and only for materials authorized
  • Permit holder shall visit www.nltfpd.org prior to any burning activity to determine if it is an approved Burn Day
  • No open burning is permitted on No Burn Days as determined by the Fire District
  • Open burning starts at 6:00 am and all piles must be extinguished by 3:00 pm
  • Provide a thirty-minute fire watch after extinguishing any fire
  • Have a charged garden hose and hand tools nearby
  • Keep pine needle and slash piles small and manageable
  • The fire must be constantly attended by an adult
  • Clear a 25-foot radius noncombustible area around all fires
  • Keep fires away from any overhanging branches
  • Burning of household refuse, trash, cardboard, rubber products, tires, plastic, petroleum, construction debris, and other non-vegetative materials is prohibited

Grilling Safety Tips:

All grilling appliances shall be used within the manufacturer’s guidelines and recommendations. Follow these simple safety tips when using solid fuel, charcoal, or propane grills.

  • Propane, charcoal, and other solid-fuel grills should only be used outdoors.
  • The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
  • Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
  • Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
  • Never leave your grill unattended.
  • Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.

Charcoal Grills:

  • Charcoal grills are prohibited on combustible surfaces.
  • There are several ways to get the charcoal ready to use. Charcoal chimney starters allow you to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.
  • If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
  • Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
  • There are also electric charcoal starters, which do not use fire. Be sure to use an extension cord for outdoor use.
  • When you are finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing of in a metal container. Contact the Fire District for a free ashcan (residents will need to have some type of wood-burning heating appliance to be considered for the program). To obtain a free ashcan, residents may fill out an application, available at the Fire District Administration Office, 866 Oriole Way, Incline Village. If the required criteria are met, an ashcan will be provided.

Propane Grills:

  • Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year.
  • Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles.
  • If your grill has a gas leak, by smell or the soapy bubble test, and there is no flame, turn off the gas tank and grill. If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again. If the leak does not stop, call the fire department.
  • If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill.
  • If the flame goes out, turn the grill and gas off and wait at least 15 minutes before re-lighting it.

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://nltfpd.org/

Copyright 2020-2021.  All Rights Reserved.  North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District.  Web design by XMR Fire.

SiteAdmin