Skip to main content


Q: What are the rules for cutting trees?

A: On residential properties, dead trees of any size and live trees less than 14 inches in diameter (measured 4.5 feet above the ground) do not require a permit for removal, unless in a streamzone or on a lakefront property, where special rules apply. Fire hazard trees larger than 14 inches can be removed with a permit from NLTFPD. Request a defensible space evaluation to get started. Trees that need to be removed for other reasons are permitted by the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency.

Q: Do I have to pay if I call 911 and request emergency services?

A: No you don’t have to pay to call 911 or for our fire district to show up on an emergency incident. Charges are only incurred if you are transported to a hospital by an ambulance.

Q: How do I dispose of hazardous materials?

A: Locally in Incline Village/Crystal Bay, NV, contact IVGID Waste Not at 775-832-1284 or visit

Q: What do I do if I have to evacuate?

A: Prior to a disaster, each family must have a plan. You can begin this process by gathering family members and making sure each person is well-informed on potential hazards and community plans. Please read our Emergency Preparedness Brochure (or, in espanol), or visit

Q: I’m concerned about a vacant lot near my property with high fire danger. Who do I contact?

A: Washoe County’s Online Mapping services can help identify the owner of vacant parcels, or contact the NLTFPD Forester for further assistance.

Q: How is North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District funded?

A: Primarily property taxes, and in addition, sales taxes.

Q: What are the guidelines for recreational burning in a fire pit in my backyard?

A: You need to obtain an Open Burning Permit by NLTFPD and follow the safety guidelines outlined on the form. Once fire restrictions are in place in the Tahoe Basin (typically summer months), there is no recreational burning allowed.