Message from the Fire Chief

Sommers 3561 500px

Greetings, 

As Fire Chief of the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District, it is my honor to serve the citizens of Incline Village and Crystal Bay, Nevada. I was raised in Incline Village and attended Incline Village public schools from elementary school through high school. I was hired with the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District in 1995 as a dispatcher and promoted to Firefighter in early 1997, the years thereafter, I was promoted through all positions to now Fire Chief, appointed in 2016. 

Since 1959, the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District (NLTFPD) has had the honor of protecting life and property in one of the most beautiful places on earth. NLTFPD has established a reputation for excellence in the prevention of, preparation for, and response to emergencies in the communities of Incline Village and Crystal Bay, Nevada. Additionally, NLTFPD has maintained an active presence and strong reputation amongst our agency partners in the Lake Tahoe Basin and surrounding jurisdictions.

Continuing to grow, change and evolve with our community's needs, we strive to provide exceptional quality services to our citizens and visitors.

As we approach the fall and winter months, it is a good time to do an end-of-season clean-up around your yard. The last day to request chipping and defensible space evaluation services for the 2022 season is October 23, 2022. This will allow us to complete all requests in a timely manner and, prior to potential inclement weather. For chipping requests, please remember that the pile must not exceed 30 feet in length, 6 feet in height, and 6 feet in width. Branch diameter cannot exceed 6 inches, and no stumps, roots, garbage, nails, or finished lumber. Waste Management’s last Curbside Yard Debris Recycling Program service dates for this year is October 3rd – October 28th, 2022. Yard waste left curbside outside this timeframe is trash and should be disposed of accordingly. Collection occurs on your regular service day. For more information or to purchase additional debris collection stickers, please call 775-831-2971 or visit This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..  

Fire Prevention Week is quickly approaching, October 9 – 15, 2022, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) would like to remind us about the importance of fire prevention in the home. The theme this year is “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape.” Your ability to get out of a home during a fire depends on an early warning from smoke alarms and advance planning. It is important for everyone to plan and practice a home fire escape. Being prepared in advance saves time when it counts the most, in the event of an actual emergency. For more information visit fpw.org.

If you have started to use your fireplace inside your home, please be sure to dispose of leftover ashes properly. Many people do not realize the length of time required for ashes to cool enough for disposal.  Even after several days, a pile of ashes can hold enough heat to reignite and start a fire.  Four days, or 96 hours, is the minimum recommended cooling period for ashes. Extra care should be used in the storage and final disposal.

When disposing of the ashes, you should use the following procedures:

  • Make sure there are no hot spots left in the ashes.  This is done by soaking them in water or letting them sit for several days and double-checking for hot spots.   This would apply to charcoal grill ashes as well.
  • All ashes should then be stored in the fire-resistant metal container provided.  This helps keep air from blowing through and disturbing ashes which can leave hot coals exposed for reigniting.  Approved containers are available at local retailers.  They should NEVER be disposed of in a plastic garbage box or can, a cardboard box, or a paper grocery bag.  Never use a vacuum cleaner to pick up ashes.
  • The metal container should be placed away from anything flammable.  It should not be placed next to a firewood pile, up against or in the garage, on or under a wood deck, or under a porch.
  • After sitting for a week in the metal container, check them again to be sure that they are cool. If so, the ashes are then safe to dispose of in your trash.

As a safety precaution keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from a fireplace, wood stove, or any other heating appliance, and create a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires. It is essential to ensure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying, and never leave a fire unattended, particularly when children are present.

For our Incline Village and Crystal Bay residents that rely on a wood-burning device for heat, please fill out a Free Ash Can application form, also available at the Fire District Administration Office, 866 Oriole Way, Incline Village. If the required criteria are met, an ash can will be provided. Residents will find an instructional flyer on how to dispose of fireplace ashes properly inside each ash can. Ash cans will be provided to qualifying residents on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Also, remember to stay informed and sign up for emergency alert notifications. In Washoe County, register for CODE RED emergency alert notifications. It is up to each of us to be prepared before an emergency occurs. Make an emergency plan and assemble a kit. Also, consider taking a home inventory of all items in your household. In addition to CODE RED notifications, you may also be notified by the Emergency Alert System (EAS), tune in to KKOH-AM780 on your radio, this is the primary relay station for northern Nevada. Other emergency notification systems include the news media, and local emergency officials conducting door-to-door notifications.

HELPFUL CONTACTS:

IN AN EMERGENCY, CALL 911

Thank you for visiting our website, we hope this safety information helps you and your family stay safe and be prepared. If you have any questions or suggestions about how we can be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me at 775-831-0351 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Please follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube

Thank you,

Ryan E. Sommers
Fire Chief

 

 

Copyright 2020-2022.  All Rights Reserved.  North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District.  Web design by XMR Fire.

SiteAdmin