Message from the Fire Chief
As Fire Chief of the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District, it is my honor to serve the citizens of Incline Village and Crystal Bay, Nevada. I was raised in Incline Village and attended Incline Village public schools from elementary school through high school. I was hired with the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District in 1995 as a dispatcher and promoted to Firefighter in early 1997, the years thereafter, I was promoted through all positions to now Fire Chief, appointed in 2016.
Since 1959, the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District (NLTFPD) has had the honor of protecting life and property in one of the most beautiful places on earth. NLTFPD has established a reputation for excellence in the prevention of, preparation for, and response to emergencies in the communities of Incline Village and Crystal Bay, Nevada. Additionally, NLTFPD has maintained an active presence and strong reputation amongst our agency partners in the Lake Tahoe Basin and surrounding jurisdictions.
Continuing to grow, change and evolve with our community's needs, we strive to provide exceptional quality services to our citizens and visitors.
Fire Prevention Week is quickly approaching, October 9 – 15, 2022, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) would like to remind us about the importance of fire prevention in the home. The theme this year is “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape.” Your ability to get out of a home during a fire depends on an early warning from smoke alarms and advance planning. It is important for everyone to plan and practice a home fire escape. Being prepared in advance saves time when it counts the most, in the event of an actual emergency. For more information visit fpw.org.
If you have started to use your fireplace inside your home, please be sure to dispose of leftover ashes properly. Many people do not realize the length of time required for ashes to cool enough for disposal. Even after several days, a pile of ashes can hold enough heat to reignite and start a fire. Four days, or 96 hours, is the minimum recommended cooling period for ashes. Extra care should be used in the storage and final disposal.
When disposing of the ashes, you should use the following procedures:
- Make sure there are no hot spots left in the ashes. This is done by soaking them in water or letting them sit for several days and double-checking for hot spots. This would apply to charcoal grill ashes as well.
- All ashes should then be stored in the fire-resistant metal container provided. This helps keep air from blowing through and disturbing ashes which can leave hot coals exposed for reigniting. Approved containers are available at local retailers. They should NEVER be disposed of in a plastic garbage box or can, a cardboard box, or a paper grocery bag. Never use a vacuum cleaner to pick up ashes.
- The metal container should be placed away from anything flammable. It should not be placed next to a firewood pile, up against or in the garage, on or under a wood deck, or under a porch.
- After sitting for a week in the metal container, check them again to be sure that they are cool. If so, the ashes are then safe to dispose of in your trash.
As a safety precaution keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from a fireplace, wood stove, or any other heating appliance, and create a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires. It is essential to ensure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying, and never leave a fire unattended, particularly when children are present.
For our Incline Village and Crystal Bay residents that rely on a wood-burning device for heat, please fill out a Free Ash Can application form, also available at the Fire District Administration Office, 866 Oriole Way, Incline Village. If the required criteria are met, an ash can will be provided. Residents will find an instructional flyer on how to dispose of fireplace ashes properly inside each ash can. Ash cans will be provided to qualifying residents on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Also, remember to stay informed and sign up for emergency alert notifications. In Washoe County, register for CODE RED emergency alert notifications. It is up to each of us to be prepared before an emergency occurs. Make an emergency plan and assemble a kit. Also, consider taking a home inventory of all items in your household. In addition to CODE RED notifications, you may also be notified by the Emergency Alert System (EAS), tune in to KKOH-AM780 on your radio, this is the primary relay station for northern Nevada. Other emergency notification systems include the news media, and local emergency officials conducting door-to-door notifications.
- Sierra Avalanche Center, 530-587-3558, ext. 257
- NV Roads, 877-NV-ROADS (688-6237)
- CAL TRANS 800-427-7623
- Incline Village General Improvement District (IVGID) Public Utilities, 775-832-1203
- Washoe County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO), 775-832-4110
- North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District (NLTFPD), 775-831-0351
- Southwest Gas 877-860-6020 (to report suspicious gas leak call 911 FIRST)
- NV Energy 775-834-4100 (Northern NV, to report an outage/emergency service)
- Liberty Utilities 844-245-6868 (to report an outage or emergency service issue)
IN AN EMERGENCY, CALL 911
Ryan E. Sommers