Skip to main content

Short Term Rentals (STR)

  • In accordance with the Washoe County STR Ordinance, the NLTFPD will conduct a defensible space inspection for all short-term rental applications in Incline Village/Crystal Bay that do not have a current compliant inspection. Occupancies with fire protection systems (e.g., fire sprinklers, fire extinguishers, monitored fire alarm systems, and/or private fire hydrants) will receive a fire and life safety inspection to ensure the system(s) have been annually inspected and serviced.  Systems shall be serviced by a fire protection contractor that is licensed in the State of Nevada and certified by the State Fire Marshal’s Office.  The owner or owner’s representative shall be on-site for inspections conducted by NLTFPD.    

    To schedule an appointment, please go online here

    Have questions about STR inspections? We’ve got the answers.

    Q:  What are the defensible space requirements for an STR property?

    A: Defensible space is fuel mitigation surrounding a structure, such as shrub thinning or removal; picking up pine needles; or removing dead vegetation. Compliant defensible space provides a working space for fire fighters, protects property, and prevents wildfires from spreading. All homes are required to have compliant defensible space, including Short Term Rentals.

    Learn how to create and improve a defensible space

    Q:  What is the fire extinguisher requirement for an STR property?   

    A: Fire extinguishers are required on each level; the minimum size for fire extinguishers is 2-A:10-B:C. Extinguishers shall be mounted unless they are clearly identified on the posted safety plan. Extinguishers shall be serviced and tagged annually by a licensed contractor with the Nevada State Fire Marshal. 

    Learn more about fire extinguishers

    Q:  What are the requirements for carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms in an STR?

    A: Carbon monoxide detection and smoke alarms shall be installed in accordance with the currently adopted fire and building codes as well as the National Fire Protection Association Standard 72.  Some of the basic requirements are as follows:

    • Smoke alarms shall be installed on each level in the home, outside each sleeping area, and within each room used for sleeping purposes.
    • Carbon monoxide detection shall be provided in each room with a fuel burning appliance or fireplace. 
    • Alarms shall be checked after each rental to ensure they have not been tampered with.
    • Alarms shall be tested monthly, replace batteries every six (6) months.
    • Replace smoke alarms every ten (10) years, or sooner; carbon monoxide detectors every five (5)- ten (10) years, follow manufacturer recommendations.
    • A monitored fire alarm system is required for all Tier 2 and Tier 3 rentals.

    Q:  What is the requirement for an emergency escape ladder for an STR property?

    A: When egress windows or openings are located more than 16-feet above an exterior finished grade as a measure to the finished sill of the window, or if the lot has extenuating features as determined by the code officials, a safe landing area shall be provided, and an emergency ladder shall be permanently fastened to the inside of the wall per the manufacturer’s recommendations. 

    Q:  What is recommended to allow for the Fire Department to access your home during an emergency?

    A:  Residential Knox Box allows first responders to enter the home quickly and makes the re-securing of the property easier and faster. Knox Boxes reduces the need for forced entry and related property damage.  These boxes are specifically coded for NLTFPD.  

    Q:  Are BBQs or outdoor fire pits allowed at STR properties?

    A:  Gas BBQs are allowed on STRs, so long as manufacturer specifications are being followed.  Charcoal BBQs are also allowed, so long as there are no fire restrictions in effect. Fire restrictions are typically in effect during summertime. 

    Outdoor fire pits fueled by either propane or natural gas are also allowed but do require a Burn Permit.  Operational Burn Permits are only issued to the property owner and can be scheduled with the Fire Inspector here.  Outdoor wood burning is prohibited for STR properties.  

    Aside from outdoor fire pits and BBQs, outdoor wood burning or the use of an outdoor flaming device is PROHIBITED in Incline Village/Crystal Bay. 

    Learn more about Fire Weather and Burn Status.

    Q:  What are the steps for Emergency Preparedness?

    A:  Occupants shall be provided with basic information to safely evacuate your home during an emergency. STRs shall provide educational materials including:

    • Community evacuation routes, shelter locations
    • Avalanche and earthquake warning information

    Learn more about Emergency Preparedness


    Peer-to-peer hospitality services, such as Airbnb, Vacation Rentals by Owner, and other types of vacation rentals are not regulated in the same way as hotels. Requirements vary widely across jurisdictions. Act as your own safety advocate and know before you go. Be sure the following safety measures are addressed.


Protect Your Property From Fire Page 2