ARE YOU WINTER READY?
As the colder temperatures and precipitation approach, it is time to prepare to winterize your surroundings and vehicles to stay safe and comfortable.
Here is a checklist to ensure you are well-prepared for the winter season:
Home Preparedness Tips:
- Test smoke alarms/carbon monoxide (CO) alarms regularly in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of your home.
- Keep flashlights, battery-powered lighting, and fresh batteries on hand.
- Turn off portable heaters when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Schedule a professional inspection and servicing for your furnace.
- Have your chimney cleaned and inspected by a qualified professional to prevent chimney fires.
- Look out for your neighbors and offer assistance to those who may require help.
- Remind children to avoid downed wires and report them to the authorities.
- Keep a covered metal container for the disposal of cooled ashes. Residents may request a free ash can by filling out an application available at the Fire District Administration Office, 866 Oriole Way, Incline Village. Visit our website for more information on our Ash Can program.
- Keep emergency supplies in your vehicle, including a blanket, change of clothes, flashlight, food, and water.
- Ensure your cell phone is charged and carry it with you.
- Have an ice scraper and snow brush on hand.
- Maintain a full gas tank for emergency situations.
- Check weather updates from the national weather service, state department of transportation, or local media before traveling.
Helpful Contact Phone Numbers/Websites:
- NV 511 Traveler Information System: Call 511 within Nevada or 877-NVROADS outside of Nevada, https://www.nvroads.com/
- CAL TRANS Road Conditions: Call 800/427-7623, https://dot.ca.gov/travel
- Reno National Weather Service: Call 775/673-8100, Reno, NV (weather.gov)
- Incline Village General Improvement District (IVGID) Public Works: Call 775/832-1203, https://www.yourtahoeplace.com/ivgid
- Washoe County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO): Call 775/328-3001, https://www.washoesheriff.com/
- North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District (NLTFPD): Call 775/831-0351, https://www.nltfpd.org/
- Southwest Gas (SWG) Emergency Dispatch: 800/772-4555 (Northern Nevada and California), https://www.swgas.com/
- NV Energy: Call 775/834-4100, https://www.nvenergy.com/
- Liberty Utilities: Call 800/782-2506, https://libertyutilities.com/
- Washoe County Emergency Management: Call 775/337-5898, https://www.washoecounty.gov/em/
Stay safe and prepared for the winter season!
IN AN EMERGENCY, CALL 911